Syllabus

Artists

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The secret to appeal and creativity - Live




It's worth recognizing that there is no such thing as an overnight success. You will do well to cultivate the resources in yourself that bring you happiness outside of success or failure. The truth is, most of us discover where we are headed when we arrive. At that time, we turn around and say, yes, this is obviously where I was going all along. It's a good idea to try to enjoy the scenery on the detours, because you'll probably take a few.


"You've got a million bad drawings in you, you better get started." - Chuck Jones







“The greatest asset an artist can have is a curious mind, and the courage to explore it,” 
Maurice Nobel's Mom

“You can't draw a forest really well unless you have been in one. When I design, I'm not so interested in showing what a forest “looks” like; I'm more interested in showing what a forest “feels” like. That's almost impossible to do if you have never been in one. If you can capture the feeling of a place, this will give your work a very unique quality. I tend to design from what I know. Subjects I'm not as familiar with, try to explore. When your designs are based on what you know, and have experienced, it gives your work much more substancce. I call this “stepping into the picture.”” 
Maurice Nobel (The Nobel Approach pg 70)


“Look to life and nature for inspiration. Draw (Litterally) from your experiences. Travel, read, visit museums, study the art of other cultures. Get a little beyond your comfort zone. Look at artists who aren't involved in animation. Your designs are really just and extension of yourself. Keep building on the design resource library in your head. Make it a point to explore life, gain new experiences, and see new places. If you have the same influences, teachers, and experiences as everyone else, it will be difficult to make your designs really stand out. It is importatnt to know what is being dome, and has been done, but to be truly innovative you have to look beyond that. “ 
Maurice Nobel pg 69

No comments:

Post a Comment