Syllabus

Artists

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Melissa Vance-Assignment #9

Wasn't sure if we were allowed to do mythical beasts, so there is a person on there...

Inspired by Justin Gerard. I think his work is really appealing because of the shapes he uses and the way he shows form. He has a way of using straight shapes in a way that makes them look curved. He also uses very little obvious line work in his paintings (even though he clearly knows how to use it in his drawings) and definitely manages to get his point across with his shading. I was trying to emulate him with the shapes I used for the dragon and the girl. He has a similar body type that he uses in his girls and I attempted to use that in my mermaid person. His monsters/animals also have a similar shape and he tends to re-use positions. Someone once told me that a large part of emulation was not only drawing like the artist, but looking at how they positioned their characters and backgrounds, I'm not sure if this is always true, but I wanted to make sure that I tried out his way of drawing characters. I was really inspired by his forms, I tried to shade like him a bit though really unless I had not used line (which I did when I forgot what I was doing) and just shaded the way he did I wouldn't have (and didn't really) succeeded.  

Justin Gerard, a girl on a snail

No comments:

Post a Comment