Meg Park - http://megpark.blogspot.com/
Whether designing the character for animation or not, I always find it useful to think like an animator. Get 'inside' the character and understand who they are, how they carry themselves, what their attitude is like. Know their back-story, or come up with something short and simple if you're designing from scratch. Give them little quirks that make them stand out, characters should be memorable as well as appealing.
I try to explore as many ideas as I can, study a lot of references, exaggerate shapes and keep drawing until the balance is right and everything works. I always strive to communicate as much personality and expression as possible in each drawing, too.
I try to explore as many ideas as I can, study a lot of references, exaggerate shapes and keep drawing until the balance is right and everything works. I always strive to communicate as much personality and expression as possible in each drawing, too.
Good design is difficult, but I think that difficulty and problem-solving is the fun part (if it wasn't, I'd be in the wrong career!). Especially nowadays when original ideas seem hard to come by, and everything has been done before. I think to overcome that, you just need to try as many different approaches as possible, don't be afraid of making mistakes and don't take it too seriously. Taking a step back and designing the silhouette first sometimes helps if you're stuck. Designing should always be fun and I think confidence is the key to a good drawing.
- Be able to detach yourself from your work. Don't be precious with it, be able to look at it objectively and see the flaws, and never be afraid or dismissive of constructive criticism from others.
- Know your subject inside and out. If you don't fully understand the skeleton or the muscle structure of the creature you're trying to draw, your drawings are going to look bad. Go back and study it from life, videos or books (preferably life!).
- Have a killer taste in whatever field you want to pursue. Know what's good, understand why it's good, keep yourself immersed in it and you'll keep growing and learning.
- Know your subject inside and out. If you don't fully understand the skeleton or the muscle structure of the creature you're trying to draw, your drawings are going to look bad. Go back and study it from life, videos or books (preferably life!).
- Have a killer taste in whatever field you want to pursue. Know what's good, understand why it's good, keep yourself immersed in it and you'll keep growing and learning.



















No comments:
Post a Comment