Lecture in the Madsen Recital Hall Oct 16th, 11am
http://www.bretthelquist.com/
After graduating from college I left for New York City. My first job was an internship with an illustrator named Robert Neubecker. I began showing my portfolio whenever I had the chance. Slowly, very slowly the jobs began to trickle in. My first jobs were from newspapers and magazines. I did this type of work for about seven years. During this time I also had a day job as a graphic designer. I eventually decided to pursue some work in children’s books. The first book I had the chance to illustrate was “the Bad Beginning” by Lemony Snicket.
Other elements of style come as solutions to weaknesses. For example my use of line began when I had trouble controlling edges in my paintings. I also do most of my drawing from my imagination, I rarely use models, so I had to develop a way to draw that allowed me to do this.













No comments:
Post a Comment