Syllabus

Artists

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Wouter Tulp


Website: http://woutertulp.blogspot.com/

Some Things I think are Important in Character Design - Read the whole article

It takes more than one drawing to come up with a final character design. Sketching often is no more than thinking visually. Some ideas are good, some are bad, but there’s always room for improvement.

 A character designer comes up with many different ideas and approaches to the subject. Allowing myself to try things that don’t work, is essential to eventually come up with great ideas. Nobody likes to show their bad drawings, but in order to be creative, it is necessary to explore many different directions.  

I hate it when a drawing  or a concept doesn’t work, or when I make a bad drawing.  The alternative however, is not allowing myself to make any mistakes, which would mean doing the same thing over and over again...that’s not an option for me.

The great thing in designing a character this way, is that  I ‘get to know’ the character during the process.  When a drawing doesn’t communicate what I want it to, it means it doesn’t portray the character.  Trying again differently makes me slowly but surely discover who this character actually is.






















No comments:

Post a Comment